Question:
What is the top scuba gear for 2005 for the following items...?
CoffeeBean
2005-12-18 00:41:39 UTC
Mask
Fins
Torch
Wetsuit
Regulator
Other gadgets worth mentioning?
Two answers:
bonairetrip
2005-12-19 20:06:27 UTC
A mask is all about the fit. A perfect fit (strap not too tight, no water leaks -- pereferable even when you laugh or grin) is the only real criteria. Any mask sold by a reputable shop would fit the bill.

Fins -- you need to decide between full foot and open heel. My preference is open heel (more versatile -- especially for shore diving) although some prefer the full foot. Fit is also hugely important and if you are shore diving in cold water buy your booties first. My preference is the Apollo bio fins although there are many excellent choices out there.

In terms of torch, I think that depends on your application. I like the Ikelite PCA, the UK SL4 and the small UK pocket light. These would work for tropical night diving. Anything brighter will overpower the reef.

For cold water or cave, you probably need to amp up the power a tad bit and I would look at the more heavy duty rechargeables (including canister lights).

I remain a fan of the Suunto Cobra dive computer but there are *many* other great options. Start with gas type (nitrox or air only), integration (not air integrated, hose air integaration and hoseless air integration), features and budget and go from there.

Tons of choices with regualtors -- start with your budget and diving environement. I really like the scubapros but there are *many* great choices. Rodale's Scuba Diving does do periodic gear reviews that are worth a look.

Wetsuit is alll about two things: a) correct thickness for the water temp and your cold tolerance; and b) fit.

What about a bc?
2005-12-18 14:11:28 UTC
hawaii